He has probably sat on the potty 50 times in the last few days, and only peed 4 times....which doesn't seem like much, but I am SUPER excited about it. He is pretty good about not peeing in his underwear, but the entire time he has underwear on he is seriously sobbing "Put my diaper back on....I want my diaper....."
We've tried all kinds of reward systems...... sticker charts, treats when he sits on the potty, rewards for going potty, but they only seem to work for the first couple times he sits on it, then it wears off.
The problem is that is totally scared. He's not scared to sit on it, but to pee in it. He will sit on it, say he wants to get down, so I say "Ok, let's get down and we can come back in a little bit and try again" but then he doesn't want to get off because he knows he will be in underwear and not a diaper. So then he ends up being on the potty for like a half hour at a time and he wants me to be in there the whole time. He gets to the point that he has to pee so bad that it starts dribbling out and it scares him so he stops himself, and then his stomach hurts because he has to go so bad and won't go.....so I end up feeling really bad and put a diaper on him. He HAS gone a few times though, so we have made some progress.
I can imagine it would be scary to do something so dramatically different than you have been doing your entire life, but I am ready for him to be ready. I guess I just have to be patient and he will do it when HE is good and ready. But for now, we will just keep trying.........
This is a picture of him laying on the floor, refusing to stand up because he wants his diaper on. He laid there for like 10 minutes, crying. Then he went and got a diaper and laid back down and cried for me to put it on for another 20 minutes.....
10 comments:
I already left you a note on facebook. But I will leave you another one because this subject is so dear to my heart!! j/k i ordered a book called potty training in 3 days. Most of it worked with Maggie, but I had just barely had Soph when we started and it was SO hard. It's like $15 or $20 but WELL worth it. GOOD LUCK-- it's horrible!
Here are some things that worked with Aliyah.
{Cold Turkey. No diapers until bedtime. And no, I did not invest in pull-ups. They seem like a waste of money}
{Big Girl Potty. We tried getting her to use a little potty and she hated it so we bought one of those potty seats that goes right on the toilet seat and then bought her a stool. She loved that!}
{I took Aliyah to the potty every 15 min. Yes, I seriously did}
{Told her that the princess' and Winnie the Pooh (characters on her panties) didn't liked to be Peed and Poohed on. hahaha sounds funny but she definitely thought about it after that}
{Something that helped a friend of mine with potty training her daughter was to have her daughter be around Aliyah more often and see Aliyah using the potty. As soon as she saw Aliyah using that Potty she wanted to use it too. Worked wonders, and totally makes sense!! }
It took Aliyah a few days but she got it. :) Even after that thought she would have a few days where she would have a couple accidents then be fine for a few weeks then have a few days again. I hear this is normal.
Hope this helps!
I obviously don't have any advice for you on this one yet, but just wanted to say good luck and keep at it!
Can't wait to see you guys!
I know it's not funny to you, but I had a little chuckle over this! Kids can be so darn dramatic! I know it's a big step/transition for them, but still!!
Kaleb never liked sitting down to pee so we went right to having him stand up and go and he thought (and still thinks 2 years later!) that it's pretty cool to be able to watch his trail of pee come out! You could even put in a cheerio or fruit loop for "target practice" and make a game out of it for him.
Another trick is to put underwear on under his diaper/pullup. That way he can still feel the wetness/messiness when he goes and hopefully will start to think that feels too yucky and want to just get it out in the toilet. Good luck!
Well... GOOD LUCK! :)
My advice is to invest in a GOOD carpet cleaner! :) I must say, I'm not sure who the Asay Family is, but I did most of the stuff she said with Lucy (no pull ups, no little potty, let her watch a bigger kid go) and it worked well. That said, I think every kid is different. George told me one method is to gate yourself and your child in a room (like the kitchen)for an entire day and keep the child without anything on his bottom. It supposedly works great, but I never tried it. My friend kept her child on a small potty in front of the TV for pretty much the whole day and let them sort of figure out what it feels like to "go". I doubt any of this is helpful, but I really would buy a good carpet cleaner. Potty training is a patience tester for sure... when he gets it, give YOURSELF a reward!
On another note (sorry... super long comment), I can relate with you on missing living by the fam with big events (like baby births) happening. I can't tell you how many times I've wished I worked for the airlines and could just fly myself there for the weekend.
I am just going to wish you luck. All my kids have been different. But I have never had one plead to have the diaper back on. Nate wasn't trained until three. I had tried several times before, but finally about a week before he turned three it just seemed to click. My least favorite part of parenting by a mile. Four down. One to go. I agree with Kimi...reward YOURSELF when it is over.
Oh Sharon ... what a fun stage! Ella was scared of going potty too. So we'd drop it for awhile. But we'd revisit the subject every couple of weeks. And when she was ready she did it and never had any accidents ... maybe 3 total. She would cry for her diaper too ... it's a big sign that he's not ready. I wouldn't push. Just keep talking about it and see what happens. Good luck! It will all fall into place! I promise!
Oh man, can I just say how much I am NOT looking forward to potty training?
I have no words of wisdom but I'm sending good potty thoughts your way.
And your brother's twins are darling!
Kayla
hmm...sounds pretty normal. Sorry girl but I've got nothing for ya. Well, maybe let him do it when he's ready. Forget about it for a while, a long while, and see if he starts to come around. Cade has make progress on his own lately so be hopeful.....and patient. It's tough though, REAL tough! :)
Post a Comment