Gray did start out with eggs on his plate, but he was so turned off by them that he wanted me to give them to Cal.....
Then we headed to our friend Erica's for a little St. Patrick's day play group. We had green cupcakes and just played. There were quite a few kiddos there and they were all in their green. We had such a fun time....thanks girls!
Here she is trying to give Gray a kiss.....I think Gray feels a little nervous......
Now, about the sleepy Gray.........................................
Grayson has NOT been wanting to take a nap since he has moved in to his big boy bed. I knew that it was going to happen, but seriously....I didn't know it was going to be this bad. He did well the first couple nights, and then he learned that he can turn on lights, play, come out, come downstairs......you know, pretty much anything he wants. We just keep taking him back up but he just comes right back down. I know people that put child locks on the door handles but for some reason I feel bad locking him in his room.
Since he hasn't been talking a nap, he has been EXHAUSTED and super CRANKY by the end of the day. If he doesn't have a nap he will normally go to bed ok at night since he is so tired. But if we try to go anywhere after about 5:00 he is out cold in the car in about 2 seconds.... which then gives him a little late nap, which leads to him doing the whole come out of his room 100 times routine at night because he had a little nap to give him more energy. So, I don't know what do to........He is too young to not have a nap, but if he does have a nap he doesn't go to bed at night well at all. He was up til 11:30 for 2 nights in a row.
Tonight, we were headed to the store and Gray of course fell asleep on the way so I just ran in while Ben stayed in the car with him. By the time we got back home he had only been asleep for about 20 minutes so we took him inside and he stayed asleep. Ben sat on the couch with him....and he STILL stayed asleep. So, we put him in his bed (still in his clothes and he hadn't eaten dinner) and he is still alseep. I'm pretty sure he is out for the night and that he is going to be up at 4am.
Anyway, sorry to ramble, but I am really frustrated and don't know what to do. I guess it is just something you figure out, but it is not fun. So, all you mommies out there, if you have any advice I would love to hear it!
8 comments:
oh man i don't have any advice cuz we go through some of the same stuff with alivia. she doesn't handle the day very well if she doesn't get a nap and then if she does get a nap she is up until 11 pm. but she just lays there in her bed, she doesn't get up. i think we got her trained that way by taking away things she loves every time she gets out of bed. but it was heck going through it cuz she threw a lot of fits!! but now she stays in her bed. hang in there...you'll know what to do! every kid is different!!
Hmmmm.........good luck? Tough stuff for sure! Just keep at it and be consistent so he knows you are serious!
I don't have any ideas either, but I agree with my mom - just be consistent and eventually he will figure it out! That's what I had to do with Reece when she didn't think she needed to nap either!
Looks like you had a fun St. Patrick's Day! Holidays are so much more fun with kids!
I would just make sure that if Gray naps it's not past 4pm. That's kind of always been our rule. That way they have a long enough awake period before bed. And consistency is key. Just keep putting him back in bed. I had a friend who would leave their kid's door open a crack and sit outside his room until he went to sleep, and eventually he figured it all out and didn't come out any more. Just a suggestion. Good luck!!!
I have advice. :) We went through all of that with Kirk. I had to wean him off of getting out of bed. I would sit by his bed while he went to sleep- constantly pushing him back down when he'd get up. It took about 30 minutes to get him to sleep. AFter 3 day of that, I moved across the room in front of the door. He knew he couldn't get up cuz I was sitting there. After 3 days of that, I moved right outside the door so he couldn't see me but he could hear me. Eventually he just gave up and started staying in bed. And a thought on locking the door - just get a baby gate to put up in the door if you want. Then he's not locked in and you don't feel bad. Good luck!
I've been there before...and now Evan's moving into him big boy bed so here we go again! But my tricks include:
-no matter how many times he comes out don't say anything to him when he comes out of his room, don't even look him in the eye...that gives him attention. Just take a hand and put him right back in bed (no kiss or hug, just put him down) turn around and leave. tough love, I know!
-I've done the sit by the door thing too and that works pretty good. I'd just take a book in the hallway with me so I didn't just sit there fuming :) then if he gets up do like the first thing I said and don't look or talk to him just put him right back in bed. eventually with Kaleb I got to where I just had to snap my fingers if he was getting up and he'd get the idea and lay back down. some days I was there in the hallway for like an hour. it can definately be hard phase, and one that can reoccur over again unfortunately! good luck...sending parent patience your way! :)
I left you a long comment but it did not save for some reason. Rather then retype I will talk to you on the phone! (How lazy am I?)
Good luck--Maggie did not make the transistion well and then we moved on top of it! I love the comments you already have. I just kept putting her back in bed but after the 500th time, you want to beat them. So I got one of those fat door knobs and put it on the inside of her door. She screamed and was really mad, especially at nap time. But after she fell asleep I opened the door. Now she lays down and for the most part will go to sleep, if I keep the door open. The game of getting up and down is finally dying out! Don't give up, NAPS are so important for them and a little break for mom. HOpe to see you when you come up, I'm in your mom's ward now.
Post a Comment