Sunday, April 18, 2010

So Proud of Gray!

So, I know this is really probably not something to blog about...but I am so excited I can hardly contain myself.

This is a potty post....so if you are not interested in reading you can stop now!

Anyway, as a lot of you know, Grayson has really really struggled with going #2 on the potty. He has been completely "Pee" trained for over 10 months. He always wears underwear, day and night. He has just been completely horrified to go #2 on the potty and never has. Whenever he has to go he asks for a diaper....he takes care of business and we change him, and put his underwear back on. I always make him sit on the potty and at least try before we put his diaper on. We have tried EVERYTHING to make him go. I can't even count the hours he has sat on the potty, and I have sat on the stool next to him trying to get him to go. We have tried everything from bribery (trains, trip to Chuck E. Cheese, a ride on a real train, cupcakes...) to suppositories and.....nothing. If we don't give him a diaper he will hold it for days and days, and then I just give in and give him a diaper because I am afraid he is going to get really sick from holding it. He never goes in his pants....he just holds it.

Before having kids I had never heard of a kid doing this, but since Gray has struggled with this I have actually talked to several moms who's kids have had the same problem. And I have researched online what to do, and it seems like there are a lot of kids out there who are really afraid to go #2.

Last night, before bed I told him to run in and go pee....and about a minute later I hear him say "Mommy, I went poopy!" I ran in there thinking that he maybe went a little drop, but he really went. By himself. On his own. I CANNOT believe it. I seriously though he would never do it. (ok, I knew eventually he would but it has been such a struggle!) I guess everyone was right when they said "He will go when he is ready to go"! (I have learned that there are a few things you can't force a kid to do.....sleep, eat, and go on the potty!)

Anyway, we are so proud of him! I thought maybe he would be scared to go again, but he went again tonight, totally on his own! I still cannot believe it!

Here he is with his new train that has been sitting on top of the fridge for months....
And we made cupcakes to celebrate this morning!

We are headed to Chuck E. Cheese tomorrow night. I know that sounds like a lot for just going #2 on the toilet, but if you knew how long we have waited for this day you would understand!

Now its about time to start with Calvin. From what I can tell he is going to be a lot easier....he sits on it all the time and is not one bit afraid of it. I think we will wait a little while longer though!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY!! Potty training is the hardest-and rewards are there for a reason:)

nison (nic + allison) said...

Yay for Gray! I can't imagine how hard potty training a kid must be. What a relief! haha For you...and Gray! haha

Sumo @ Sumo's Sweet Stuff said...

Way to go Gray! That is awesome!

Anonymous said...

Allright Grayson! Good luck with Calvin

Mary Kelly said...

When I saw the title of your post I was hoping that it meant he had finally conquered the #2. That is SO exciting Sharon. I hope he keeps it up!!!

michelle keisel said...

I am happy for you and Gray. Potty training is one of the hardest parts of parenting I think. I am relieved for you! :).

Whitney Terry said...

Hi Sharon,
I hope you dont mind that I have been stalking your blog. I saw this post and had to comment. I have been pleading my little boy Porter to use the potty and no luck. You have given me hope that it will happen when he is ready. Thanks! Whitney (Killpack) Terry